Saturday, June 4, 2011

A couple more

There were a couple of women I missed:

Mrs. A_

She and I don't particularly share tea and crumpets with her being concerned over the way I live my life, or ... who I am, I guess, but you know what? I've been coughing this whole month and I mentioned that I had been buying the Naked Mango Madness drinks at sbux and they were rather expensive, right?

So one day I get a surprise visit from bb's wife: she had swung by Costco and she gave me 6 containers, each of which were a whole quart of Mango Madness.

And I was like, oh, my God, that's so thoughtful of you, and how much to I ...

And before I could even finish she was like, oh, this is for you, and she was like, gone before I could even look for money to pay for it.

I'm ... I'm crying, thinking of her thoughtfulness.

You know, 'the kindness of strangers'? What does that say about anything or anybody? It says that a stranger was kind to you, and it says something nice about them, that they extended themselves for you, a stranger, totally out of the blue. It costs them nothing and it gives them something to feel good about, and you remember it fondly, too.

But the kindness of family? You know, the ones who know you? The ones who have to put up with you and your bitching and your imposition and who have to bail you out of whatever hot water you keep putting yourself into? For them to be kind to you? For 'no' reason? When they have every reason not to? And so, against all that, they do an act of kindness for you, it like ...

Okay. I have to stop now. Or else I won't stop crying.

Lilith

I've seen Lilith three times now, in the Giant plaza. She works as a check-out girl at the Giant where I bought some ... what was I buying that day? I forget, because I looked up, saw her name tag: 'Lilit' and saw her long, flowing obsidian hair and her two pools of dark water that were her eyes.

Yeah: 'Lilit' ... but she doesn't fool me. I got out of that Giant right quick.

And then, another day, I just so happened to be passing by the sbux near the Giant, and there she was, surrounded by at least four suitors, all of them looking at her adoringly. I could just see the headlines in the newspapers the next day: "Four Men Die in Anti-Terror Hate Crimes!" and the article goes on to describe how four young Arabic men had their throats 'slit' with odd puncture wounds and how the chief of police said that he would not tolerate hate crimes nor vigilanteism and that the young men were promising members of their community and had had no previous criminal records.

But I would know what had really happened. Lilith, or Lilit, as she goes by now, and who am I to cross her? Had her fill that last night. Well, I hope those men died happily, you know? Like how Bella takes her victims in Bloodbuzz. I wonder if I should have intervened that night, and offered myself in their place, you know: "Lilit, don't take them; spare them, these promising young men, and take me instead!"

But she may have looked me up and down, scrawny little thing that I am, and not be too enticed with the meager offerings.

And then the Arabic men may have taken offense that I was moving into their territory, mistaking my (not too involuntary) sacrificial offering. And Muslims don't look too kindly on alternative lifestyles or nonmainstream sexual identity. A lot of them don't ... or so I'm told.

I wonder if Lilith knows that I know. She probably does. She had probably heard my heart rate go through the roof each time I've seen her, so the cat is out of that bag on that one.

Rosalie may not be the only visitor through my bedroom window at night.

And Lilith, being the world's oldest woman, well ... she might be able to teach me some things, ... you know?

Hm, hm, hm.

blush

On that note: off to Mass!

No comments:

Post a Comment