Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake Weather

Something's coming sky is purple
Dogs are howling to themselves
Days are changing with the weather
Like a rip tide could rip us away

I push I pull the days go slow
Into a void we filled with death
And noise that laughs falls off their
Maps all cured of pain and doubts
In your little brain

— Beck, "Earthquake Weather"


Fine day for an earthquake, yes?

So, I'm fine. Actually, I was annoyed! I was, like, cooking the books at work, and I nearly screamed: "HOW CAN A GIRL THINK IN HERE WITH THE FURNITURE MOVERS UPSTAIRS?"

And then the building started shaking. Swaying, actually. Which is not a good thing to feel when you're on the eighth floor.

There was no question. One of our leaders was in the World Trade Center on 9/11, and she was told, "Oh, everything's fine, continue on," by building security. And she was like ...

(Um, I'll edit was she was like here)

You do know it took a half-hour for the building to collapse, right?

So she, on her own, evacuated group, and because of her, thirty people are still alive today, who wouldn't have been.

They told us that we could work from home for the rest of the day. And I'm like, yeah, right, like I'm gonna go back into the building to get the books, and I need system access and like they're gonna give that to me on my creaky laptop.

And then the commute home. 'Commute'? Did I say 'commute'? 'Nightmare,' more like. I should have just bedded down on the stone bench in the park. I mean: really!

JEEZ, people! It's only:

"It's one of the largest that we've had there," USGS seismologist Lucy Jones told CNN. Aftershocks were a concern, she said. "People should be expecting (them), especially over the next hour or two," she added.


It's not like the end of the world! I swear: Washington, D.C. is one of the most panicky cities in the world! People see one snowflake and they cancel Government work for three weeks.

Okay. We had an earthquake. That happened. It was a little fun, a little exciting. I'm fine. Really. Thank you for your thoughts and concerns. Kisses for you!

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment